Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2019

G. K. Chesterton's Cause for Sainthood dropped by the "fog of mediocrity"

I've been a fan of G.K.C's since high school, when I discovered his book Orthodoxy in a "Catholic Corner" of a Christian bookstore. It was a revelation. I had never read anything like it, and I had grown up (I mean through grade school) reading 19th century authors and then in high school, my two "go-to" authors were (kinda extreme) poles apart: H.P. Lovecraft on one hand and Plato on the other. (Lovecraft, I know realize, was channeling in Infernal, but I met Tolkien at some point in high school and J.R.R. drove out H.P., though one is never quite the same after one reads Howard Philips.)

To a very large extent, certainly on an intellectual level, I owe my Catholicism to Chesterton and Tolkien. The American Catholic Church taught me nothing, less than nothing, in fact. To these two Englishmen (and Chesterton was very English indeed, as Tolkien was -- one might say -- Old English) I owe my intellectual participation in the Catholic Church. Life is full of irony; I'm sure there's an Irish phrase for that. (BTW: there's a movement beginning for J.R.R.T.'s eventual canonization.) 

So, a few years ago, when I read that there was a movement to investigate Chesterton's cause for sainthood, I thought that was fitting. Quite fitting. He's certainly the patron saint of Catholic English-language writers, Catholic apologists in general, journalists and of course fat guys with mustaches and curly hair, and (let's not forget) beer drinkers. Seriously, though, he's certainly not an exemplary layman "martyr" saint, or a suffering layman saint like the lovely souls St. Gemma Galgani and now the Blessed Chiara Badano (http://www.chiarabadano.org/ ), but he is kin to Aquinas (another rather overweight fellow) and G.K.C. "channeled" St. Thomas for "everyman" better than any professional academic has ever done.

Gilbert was an amazing "Everyguy" sort of saint, a husband, a writer, trying to make a living as a (sort of) journalist, and saintly he was, in temperament: just compare him to his great friend, "Old Thunder", Hilaire Belloc. (A "suffering saint" if one may make so bold; one who didn't tolerate fools, however, whereas G.K.C. was kind to everyone, even George Bernard Shaw and H.G. Wells.)

And of course, Belloc had every reason (times 100) to be bitter. He coined the phrase I quote in the title about the Catholic bishops of England in the 1930s being "a fog of mediocrity". They still are! We languish in a soup of never-ending foggy mediocrity in our bishops! I cannot think of how I could chew up the modern hierarchy remotely like Old Thunder would have done were he still be alive today.

But as one of the people quoted in this Catholic Herald article says, it was "political correctness" that did in G.K.C.'s cause for sainthood. He was "anti-Semitic", you see. (Eye roll) So today, England has a huge anti-Semitic problem (Muslims, and Leftists, oh my!) and thus G.K.C., who would have been disgusted with both, is shut of his Church because of them. It is a calumny. Old Thunder would have thundered on and on about it, but not the kindly G.K.C.

An Préachán
PS: 
You can read a lot of G.K.C.'s work at Gutenberg: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=G.+K.+Chesterton
But I didn't find his St. Thomas Aquinas: The Dumb Ox there. However, I located it at Gutenberg Australia: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100331.txt



1 comment:

  1. Aww, I dont think he would care in the least, though he may very well have been amused by such a proposal in the first place. In any case the great thinker / soul that he was was very much used to inane dismissive polemics. The great man held no grudges and conducted his own profound polemics very similarly to the Saints, especially St. Thomas, i.e., objectively and without bitter personal recriminations. He'll always remain a timeless Doctor of the Church, crowned or not, to millions of us across the globe. Pray for us, dear sir. We hear you.

    N.B. I too was very recently in extremis with Sepsis which caused many or all my 'systems' to malfunction terribly. I too received the Sacrament of the Sick. The crisis has not sent me to my Terminus yet. Now, thanks to this report I too will call on old GKC to see me through to full recovery, if it is God's will. Thank you to the author. SH.

    https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2019/08/02/chestertons-cause-will-not-be-opened/?

    ReplyDelete