Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2018

More on the Irish abortion vote

The following is a post I left at this article on the Irish abort vote at One Peter Five.
The author notes: 
"The RTE exit poll indicated that 87.6% of 18-24-year olds voted for abortion. The majority of these young men and women were educated in Catholic schools in Ireland under the patronage of Irish bishops. They were not properly catechised."
An ea? Is that so? I do NOT doubt it, but dar Crom (by Jove) where in all the round world were these kids' parents? Where? Ireland? Earth? Mars? Vacationing on Pluto?
In a major way, I am glad I was raised among Protestants. Old School types in a rural public school where preachers often stopped by to visit. I had to fight for the Faith from grade school, and the mainstream Church (in America now, and the same in Ireland by all accounts) taught me nothing. But something is amiss in all this, and that something is big: the parents.
My mother's only brother to have children had four, and sent them to a Catholic school in Columbus, Ohio, after the consolidation into three large schools from the old parish schools (where everyone knew each other and the nuns taught). None of this uncle's kids have the Faith today (well, one died a few years ago, an alcoholic, divorced, but I knew him the least -- he stopped by at an Irish festival when I was telling Irish-language stories once, a big guy, a classic "Mic": red-haired, mustached, looked 19th century. (Far more Irish-looking than meself, dontcha know? :) But one of his daughters was with him, and he introduced us; I gave 'em both my contact info but never heard/saw 'em again).
But my uncle often complained to my mother, his sister, how uneducated in the Faith his brood were, but c'mon! Where was his Faith? Didn't he dare teach them what he had learned "back in the day" at the old Aquinas High School? (That school was famous but somehow suppressed by the bishop; perhaps an early Spirit of Vat2 attack?) Apparently not. He was passive. And I can honestly say that if the Divil himself ran for mayor as a Democrat, and St. Anthony or whoever ran as a Republican, he would have voted for the former without a thought. Poor man. And you know, he never missed a Mass.
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment